Thursday, July 1, 2010

Contest Winner - "Test Your Knowledge"


BLOG CONTEST RESPONSE-JUNE
This month’s contest winner is Tara Johnson.  Congratulations, Tara!  She will receive a big ring running martingale from AD Tack for her great response.  Most of the answers we received had good content.  Flexing at the poll, having the horse supple, sitting deep and centered, having an inside arch, controlling the shoulders and hips, doing half passes, lightening the mouth and sides, feeling the horse’s alignment, riding from back to front, and obtaining proper collection are all necessary for an excellent lead departure.  
I try to keep directions fairly simple to accomplish most chores.  So here is my answer, which is easy since I rode this particular horse to demonstrate and explain to the rider my technique.  
Spend a few minutes bending for control of the forward motion and shoulders.  Once they soften, I work on the right side of the horse, moving his hips to the left off my right leg.  When I feel control and collection is achieved, I progress to the maneuver.  I hold both reins to the right and add my left leg to help create an arch on the left side of the horse.  In the correct arch, the horse’s head should be slightly left, his shoulder up and to the right, and his hip to the left.  I will then remove my left leg and add right leg, encouraging the left hind leg to initiate the lope.  Keeping my hands slightly to the right will maintain the form and not allow the head to go right and the shoulder to lean left.  If necessary, add stronger right leg and cluck.  When I followed these steps with this young buckskin stud, he loped off correctly.  

Thanks for Playing

~Al Dunning
Tara can claim her prize by visiting http://teamadinternational.com and responding via the website contact information.

No comments:

Post a Comment